- What is an Art Biennial?
It is an international exhibition of art that takes place every two years. It is organized primarily as a show of contemporary pieces.
- What is the 1st International Biennial of Contemporary Art of Cartagena de Indias?
The Biennial is an exhibition of contemporary art that will bring together artists from different countries whose works will be exhibited throughout the city of Cartagena and will include painting, sculpture, photography, electronic and audiovisual media, installation and performance. In conjunction with the Biennial there will be a rigorous academic program of forums, discussions, workshops and site visits to local artists’ studios, among others.
- Who are the organizers of the 1st International Biennial of Contemporary Art of Cartagena de Indias?
The International Biennial of Contemporary Art Foundation of Cartagena de Indias, a non-profit organization, is the entity in charge of the organization of the 1st International Contemporary Art Biennial Cartagena de Indias.
- What is the International Biennial of Contemporary Art Foundation of Cartagena de Indias?
The International Biennial of Contemporary Art Foundation of Cartagena de Indias, is a non-profit organization whose main purpose is to promote all genres of international and national contemporary visual arts in Cartagena de Indias.
- When and where does the1st International Biennial of Contemporary Art of Cartagena de Indias take place?
The Biennial will take place from february 7 to april 7, 2014 in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.
- How can I support the Biennial?
Colombian donations can be done through a local bank. International donations can be done through Give to Colombia and are tax deductible in the United States to the extent allowed by law. For more information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How can I work in the Biennial?
Please send us your resume to email@example.com
- Who can participate in the Biennial?
The Biennial has two main components. The International Exhibition is by invitation only, and the selection will be made by the Artistic Director and her advisers. The other exhibition is called Colombia Hoy. This exhibition will be curated through an open call for Colombian artists living in Colombia or abroad, and foreign artists who have legal residence in Colombia for at least five (5) years.
- Where can I find the application form and guidelines for Colombia Hoy?
The step-by-step instructions, the guidelines, and application form can be found at www.biaci.org in the For Artist Section.
- What are the dates for the Colombia Hoy open call?
Registration will be open from June 13, 2013 until 13 August de 2013 at 11:59 pm Colombian time.
- I am Colombian but I live abroad, can I participate in Colombia Hoy?
Yes, all Colombian artists living in Colombia and abroad can apply.
- How old do I have to be in order participate in Colombia Hoy?
There is no age registration for the Colombia Hoy call.
- I am a foreigner that lived in Colombia for more than five (5) years, but I no longer live in Colombia. Can I apply to the Colombia Hoy Exhibition?
No, only foreigners who are currently living in Colombia and can legally prove their residence for at least five (5) years can apply.
- ¿Can I participate individually and as a part of a group in Colombia Hoy?
No, only individual applications are permitted in the Colombia Hoy call.
- What disciplines can participate in Colombia Hoy?
Photography, painting, sculpture, installation, performance, audio-visual and electronic media can be submitted.
- What works are not permitted in the 1st International Biennial of Contemporary Art Foundation of Cartagena de Indias?
Under no circumstances will the Biennial accept submissions that compromise neither personal safety, nor any that pose a risk to the physical integrity of the exhibition sites and other locations.
- How many pieces can I submit to Colombia Hoy?
Each artist must submit for consideration at least two (2) works and no more than five (5).
- What formats are accepted in Colombia Hoy?
Bi-dimensional: each individual format must not exceed a maximum size of 79 in. (200 cm.) on each side. Tri-dimensional: the work must not exceed 118 x 118 x 118 in. (300 x 300 x 300 cm.) and the weight must not exceed 110 lbs. (50 kg). Electronic and audiovisual media: the work must have a maximum duration of 15 minutes of exposure.
- What should I keep in mind when selecting my work for Colombia Hoy?
In choosing your pieces please take into account that the average relative humidity of Cartagena de Indias is 85%.
- Can I submit pieces to Colombia Hoy that have participated in other exhibitions?
No, pieces that have participated in other scenarios will not be permitted.
- What year must the pieces I submit be to Colombia Hoy be from?
Only works created from 2011 onward will be accepted.
- What should I take into consideration when selecting the photographs for my application to Colombia Hoy?
You must send a digital image of each of the pieces you will be submitting with minimum of 360 dpi, in JPEG or TIFF format. In the event that the works are three-dimensional, please include three additional photographs to help identify them from different angles. Remember, that the images you submit will be the ones used by the curators, and will be the ones used for the catalogue if chosen.
- What information or material should I send in order to participate in Colombia Hoy?
The only material we can receive is the application form, photographs of your work, your personal photograph, and any supporting documentation of your work. No portfolio or external documents not pertaining to the Colombia Hoy exhibition will be received.
- Where should I send my documents for the Colombia Hoy Call?
All information regarding your application (form, photographs, videos, etc.) must be compiled into a .zip file and sent using the following dropbox: http://www.dropitto.me/colombiahoy and the following password: bienalcolombiahoy
- Can I send my documents via email?
No, the only way you can send your application form is using the dropbox: http://www.dropitto.me/colombiahoy
- If I am submitting a video, where should I send it?
Please send your file to:
Bienal Internacional de Arte Contemporáneo de Cartagena de Indias
Att. Natalia Bonilla
Calle 37 # 13A – 19
- What is the deadline for the Colombia Hoy Call?
All applications must be submitted before August 13, 11:59pm, Colombian Time.
- I followed all the steps and sent my application form with the supporting files, but I have not received confirmation. What should I do?
The Biennial has 3 business days to process your registration. If after this period of time you do not receive confirmation please send an email with your name and date of application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When and where will the selected artist list for Colombia Hoy be posted?
The list of artists selected will be posted on the website of the Biennial: www.biaci.org during the month of September 2013.
- How will I know if I have been chosen to participate in Colombia Hoy?
The selected artists will receive a formal notification via email with details of their participation, with a request for additional information required for the delivery of the work.
- If I was not selected, can ask for the material that I submitted to be returned?
No, the Biennial will keep all the material that was submitted.
- If I am selected, will I travel to Cartagena de Indias?
The artists selected to participate in the Biennial will be invited to the city of Cartagena de Indias for a few days during the two months of the Biennial. The hotel and transportation costs of the artist will be covered by the Biennial, in accommodations and airlines previously defined by the Biennial.
- If I am selected, when do my pieces have to be ready?
All pieces must be ready for collection and transport to Cartagena de Indias on November 1, 2013.
- If my work requires electronic equipment for display (such as projectors, DVD players, televisions, etc..), should I include them with my piece?
No, all projectors, DVD players and televisions will be provided by the organizers of the Biennial. However, if your work uses some unconventional electronic equipment please consult availability.
- Who will pay for the insurance, packing and transportation of my work to Cartagena de Indias?
The Biennial will cover the costs of packing, shipping and insuring of the works selected.